Boomerang by Michael Lewis
Thursday January 18, 2018
Michael Lewis wrote Moneyball and The Big Short. He also wrote Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World, made up of essays published first in Vanity Fair, 2009-2011.
Each chapter focuses on one country:
- Iceland: dumb young male chauvinist bankers defaulted internationally
- Greece: dumb male chauvinist everyone stole, defaulted, lied; also monks are there
- Ireland: dumb young male chauvinist bankers defaulted on Irish real estate
- Germany: best economy in Europe, still pretty dumb; also lots about poop
- USA: cities promised pensions for cops and firefighters; cities now all bankrupt
There's a preface with the big shorter from The Big Short, who says that he got himself a million dollars worth of nickels and recommends investing in guns and gold.
Lots of people, cities, banks, and countries are in a lot of debt, which could be bad.