Learn to Code with Emacs
Thursday January 1, 2015
To learn to code effectively, use:
- tools that are actually used for coding
- materials that are reusable as references
Here's one way to do it:
- Install Emacs.
- Do the built-in Emacs Tutorial, accessible from the start screen.
- Learn about the Info system (C-h i, select Info).
- Work through the Introduction to Programming Emacs Lisp.
These steps will all make sense if you do them in order.
Here's what you get, if you follow the steps above:
- a powerful editor that you can use with any programming language
- programming skills together with computer science concepts
- the ability to use that programming language to enhance that editor
This is a powerful combination, and one that blends seamlessly into further learning and productive work.